Slowing it down

Now that the big treatment stuff is done, it appears to be time to slow it down.  At least, according to Kelvin Gomez, my breast surgeon in the letter he wrote to the gynaecologist, Mr Furat Oweis.   As Mr Oweis read through the letter - aloud, and in my presence - Kelvin has said something like 'don't rush, she can have a break'.  Not those exact words, as I can't remember now, but words to that effect. I had a chuckle.  He obviously thinks i'm rushing.   I wouldn't say I am - but I would like to see the back of all this hospital stuff.

Gynaecology
So the news from today's chat with Mr Oweis, a more traditional consultant in that his 'customer service skills' are a little lacking, is that I will be getting an oopherectomy (ovary removal), by keyhole surgery, at some point in the next 4 months.    They can't test to see if I am post-menopausal unless I come off all treatment for 12 months - apparently.  And the test can be inconclusive because hormones go up and down.  And post-menopausal women would have this op too, he said.  To be honest, it was a little tricky to get a completely clear answer from him, but I think I am reassured by what he said.

The keyhole surgery will be a day job, if in the morning. Overnight, if in the afternoon.  If anything like before, I'll probably be throwing up after the anesthetic, so I'll expect overnight and be grateful of anything less.    I'll have 4 or 5 small scars of 5-10mm each, where the tools have gone in.   I'll need 2 weeks off work, but should recover very quickly.    I'll get a pre-op appointment through soonish, and the surgery will be 3-4 months from now.  

Mr Oweis started talking about what the menopause might be like, but seriously love, i'm there already.  I'm really not worried about that.  He mentioned I wouldn't be able to have HRT. I guess some people ask that? It seemed obvious to me! Were trying to get rid of the oestrogen, not put it back!!

Lymphedema clinic
I also had an appointment with the lymphedema clinic today. The lady took a history, and already I'm feeling like a fraud as I have no pain, no discomfort, no problems. No other health issues apart from a touch of breast cancer.  I went, as we have noticed my right arm is slightly bigger than my left, and wondered if it was the start of this condition.  She measured and marked every 5cm up each arm, and then measured around at each interval.   Both arms (and apparently I have long arms and small wrists!) are more or less the same. The right is ever so slightly bigger at points, but within the normal ranges and what you would expect if you're right handed.   So, no need for any compression sleeves and no need for concern.  She's going to book me in for a 3 months follow up, but honestly, I don't think I need it...  Nice to have that reassurance, and again, she confirmed I can have any massage I like, contrary to what mum and I used to believe!  Yay! 

Genetics
Did I already say? I got the results of my genetics testing and again, they have confirmed that no genes that indicate a propensity for breast cancer can be found.  This is good as my risk level is 'the same as anyone else'. Well, anyone else who has already had breast cancer twice.   It is good for my nieces as their risk is also the same as anyone else.   But a bit of me is disappointed that there isn't a clear reason "why me".   Never mind. 

Hair Update
Two weeks ago, with the onset of this fantastic hot weather, the wig was discarded. It is gone.   My hair is coming back and people have been really lovely about how it looks.   Nice and grey around the sides too.   I'll admit I still don't feel particularly attractive - my hair needs to be a bit longer, and my waist a bit smaller - but at least the radiotherapy on my boob is no longer peeling and sore, and my eyebrows and lashes are back.  I am gradually starting to feel like 'me' again, and not just waiting for the next thing.  Gradually. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chemo #4 - this stage almost over

Ringing the bell