Velindre: Hospital of Hope

I recently discovered the hospital where all of my treatment comes from, and most of it has been delivered, has been the subject of a short documentary series. 

Velindre: Hospital of Hope is a 4 part documentary looking at the work that they do.

Quite a number of the staff who appear on there are ones that have treated me.  Chris the chemo nurse was one who helped me recover when I had my first allergic reaction at Nevill Hall.  Amy in chemo hasn't directly been my nurse, but she's been around and checked my IV line while I've been in.  Frederick who does the bone scan in Episode 4 is the guy who administers my MUGA scans, the room where the bloods are taken, is where my bloods are taken. My name has been called out on the waiting room tannoys in the same way they show. I'll be laying under one of those radiotherapy machines in a couple of weeks time.

The series really shows what a fantastic cancer centre this is, and I think people may be able to better understand why I am so pleased to be having my treatment with them. The staff are amazing.   I think I noted in an earlier blog, that you can sit in the outpatients waiting room and look at the 70-odd people there, with others passing through, and the sheer number of people suffering with cancer is slightly overwhelming.   But every one of them is getting the best treatment available. For free.   It really is astounding, and something I am so grateful for.

To watch:
https://www.itv.com/walesprogrammes/also-showing/velindre-hospital-of-hope-episode-1
You may be asked for a postcode and I'm not sure it is available outside Wales. If so, pop the postcode NP25 3PL in.  It is my doctor's surgery...!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowing it down

Chemo #4 - this stage almost over

Ringing the bell