Back to work and radiotherapy begins

It has been a while since an update, so let me bring you up to date.

Back to work
I went back to work, doing short days, on 30th April and everyone I work with has been absolutely fantastic.   I got gifts from my team and other lovely Library colleagues when I returned, and more hugs than I can count!  I'm so lucky to work with such wonderful people.   I am feeling a little tired by around 2-3pm, but getting a bit stronger every day, and starting to remember what I do for a living!!  In the last couple of days, I've also gone back to a few Faculty meetings, and all have been supportive there too.  I'm still feeling a bit "don't ask me any difficult questions", but getting there.

Emotionally, the week before I went back I was still coming out of the end of the side effects of the final chemo, and had felt incredibly low.   Not depressed, as it didn't last more than a few days, but I had felt that nothing was worth the effort, blank, dark.   It was really horrible, and going back to work has helped me dispel that feeling.  If nothing else, it is a great distraction! But also I feel useful again, and a few things that people have saved up for me even makes me feel that I add some value here and there!

Walking for Macmillan
Over the bank holiday with the lovely weather I was even feeling strong enough to start some training for the Wye Valley Mighty Hike that I'm doing on 4th August.  This is a 26 mile walk, so a fair old distance, and I need to increase my mileage from my usual 2-3 miles.   My first walk on Saturday was just under 4 miles, and my second on Monday was just under 9 in 3 hours.  My knee started to twinge on the last mile of that longer walk, so more practice on the longer walks over the next few weeks is definitely needed.



The walk is in aid of Macmillan, and together with my two librarian friends, we need to raise £750.  If you can help us, we'd appreciate your donation:  https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lollopinglibrarians


















Radiotherapy begins
Today my radiotherapy treatment started, and I also had my 5th Herceptin.   Greg was worried about me having another low blood pressure reaction, so he met me at Velindre just in case.   As it was the herceptin went fine - I had been making sure I drank plenty of water today - so all was OK.      After the injection in my leg (ooh, it does sting!), we headed over to the radiotherapy suite and after a brief chat with one of the nurses there, I changed into my lovely hospital gown and went to get zapped.

You lie on the scanner bed with your arms above your head, and they line up your tattoos with the machine and their measurements.  The radiographers leave the room and control the machines from the safety of their booth.  For this first one, they also took some x-rays, so an extra wing of the machine swung out to do that. Honestly, it feels like the robots are taking over when it all moves around you like that.   With the radiotherapy itself, I sometimes wonder if it makes a noise to help you believe it is doing something as otherwise you just lie there and it feels like nothing is happening. Then the radiographers return and say you can go again!

They said that any soreness probably won't start for a couple of weeks, and to keep the area moisturised, as well as giving me the details of their Review Team who provide support and information.  I'm ready with some soft crop tops in case my bras rub and make me sore. 

I now have my list of appointments and most are late afternoon, making it easier for me to try and keep working the short days that I'm doing. But yes, I will take it slow and listen to my body if the driving and treatment make me tired and it feels too much. I promise.

Hair update
And finally, although I'm sure people are getting used to seeing me in my wig, I am counting down the days until my hair grows back again.   I think i'm at the most hairless point in the whole cycle, with most of my eyebrows and eyelashes now missing in action.  I am painting a little eyeshadow into my brow line to fill it out a touch, plus the fringe on my wig covers it up anyway, but my usual thick monobrow is very thin now.  My lower lashes in particular are very sparse, with probably no more than 10 lashes on each eye.   As a result, my usual watery eyes are even worse than usual, particularly first thing in the morning.  I spend most of the morning dog walk wiping my face!

As my hair started falling out 3-4 weeks after the first chemo, and we're now 3 weeks after the last chemo, I am hoping this is the lowest point, and from here on things will start to grow again.   Let's hope so! The weather is getting warm and hats and wigs are hot!!

For the less squeamish, here I am with no wig, no hat, no make up.  This is what is hiding underneath! And an eye close up, showing how bare it is compared to my usual luscious lashes. Photos taken today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowing it down

Chemo #4 - this stage almost over

Ringing the bell